REMEMBERING HAYDEE B. YORAC

Yesterday was the death anniversary of one of the most distinguished persons the Philippines ever produced: Haydee Bofill Yorac.

Shortly before her death, she was a Commissioner of the Presidential Commission on Good Government tasked to recover the Marcoses’ ill-gotten wealth. Under her watch, the PCGG had several accomplishments to justify its existence. She left that body on account of illness but the nation believed that she was pressured into resigning by an administration dancing beautiful tango with the Marcoses.

Yorac was also a COMELEC Commissioner. In 1986, when Marcos was pressuring the COMELEC to rig election results, she led a walk out. It is heartening to know that the COMELEC, after all, had its moments of glory. Now the body has gone to the most stinking gutter after the Hello, Garcinungaling scandal and COMELEC Chair Abalos' involvement in the highly anomalous ZTE deal with the Philippine government.

A human rights lawyer, Yorac was courageous and outspoken. She opposed the Marcos' dictatorship and was jailed for it. Above all, she was like Caesar’s wife: beyond reproach. In 2004, she was a recipient of the Ramon Magsaysay Award for government service. Accepting the award, she said: "Our values and personal convictions dictate the direction that we take and the stand that we make on moral issues that affect our work, in particular, and the country, in general. The desire to make government more effective and efficient in its mandate of good governance is of paramount importance. It is the driving force that compels many of us to accept responsibilities in government, despite the odds."

As A UP Law Professor, she was known for putting presidential daughter Imee Marcos in the latter’s rightful place: a mere student. It is said that she prevented Imee’s bodyguards from entering her class.

I am honored to have been a student of the Great One. She was my professor in Obligations and Contracts, a five unit-killer law subject. In the University of the Philippines, professors required students in civil law subjects to use commentaries by Arturo Tolentino which frizzy-haired Yorac called “the best of the bad law books.” Paras was banned. Yorac went as far as saying that anyone caught using Paras would be booted out of the classroom. Paras books started to be rejected by my mental process. I could not understand them. When I started to teach civil law subjects, I forbade my students from using Paras.

She would say, “That is a flash of brilliance!” when a particular discussion of Tolentino was superb.

In her class, we were like a cat on a hot tin roof. The Great One administered one-on-one oral examinations, with you standing in front of her for some twenty minutes. She would grill you and her facial expression or the absence of it would be no help. We feared her, until the fear metamorphosed into reverence. I was never the studious type. After all, our UP Law Professors were mostly “finalists” who based the grades on the final examination. I would burn the candle before the final examinations. Literally, too at one time when the Republic of Diliman was plunged in darkness by a super typhoon that uprooted a big tree in front of our dorm. But I read for the Great One’s subject. Every night. At times, I would read even while at work in Congress. The objective was not a high grade, it was to do the Great One’s efforts justice. It paid off: At the end of the semester I was one of the top two in her class, the other one being Tina Benipayo who would eventually graduate valedictorian.

One time, we discussed a case about a naïve young woman who was promised marriage by a much older man. Apparently, the man had been visiting the home of the girl. On the pretext of teaching the girl how to pray the rosary, he convinced her parents to let her go with him. They slept together and she got pregnant.

Eric, a philosophy instructor in Diliman, raised his hand and asked, “How did the girl get pregnant if they only slept together?” Yorac’s eyes enlarged, and then with a face that would not betray her amusement, she blurted: Mr. ___, sleeping together means not sleeping at all.” We had a good laugh. Her facial expression remained stoic. She never laughed at her own jokes. At one time, a student could not answer her question. Edgy, he just kept staring at her. As if taunting him, Yorac kept staring back. Then the unmarried Great One said after what seemed like an eternity, “Mr. ___, let’s stop staring at each other. We might fall in love.” The giggle that the class had been stifling was let loose like a powerful waterfall. I remember how the big-bodied Mel Velasco roared in laughter.

The Great One is in the Great Beyond. In these times when corruption is at its highest and vilest, when it seems to be the norm in government, we miss her terribly. We search for Haydee Yoracs. And we are disappointed that no one in the top level comes close. Most of them dirtied their hands. Most of them are following the leader of the pack.

Haydee Yorac will always be my idol. She will live long after she died.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Lucky you.

And to think we thought ourselves lucky for being in the morning classes as we could not be under her. It turned out we missed out on a lot.

I remember that she had great legs. That's sexist, I know, but people tended to overlook Yorac as a woman. She was seen as an institution. We all miss her. We need her in these hard times really.

Anonymous said...

Does UP have something like "Hall of Fame" for sheer talents and squeky clean image? She sure belong to the "Hall".
Cheers to you and goodhealt...

Kiks said...

Never was a lawyer. Never had her for a teacher. My bad.

But she sure made those assholes in Senate and everywhere else in the "august halls" of Philippine politics clean the shit out of their stinking shoes.

Although Reynato Puno is promising. Not as feisty but the man's got vibe.

MBW said...

Chyt,

Have read several write ups on whom you call the Great One but this one beats all of them because of your anecdotes, personal and best, humorous.

Not surprised she's your idol.

lovelyn said...

A closer look, beautifully done!
Thanks fo educating my average mind who only knows the name by familiarity.

A Great Teacher will always mold a Great Student. She's beyond proud with the likes of you.

Wil said...

She sounds like a great person. We need more people like her, standing up for what she believes in. she leaves a great example for people to follow. LOL regarding her comment during the staring contest. :D

Wil said...

I just remembered who this woman reminds me of -- Ralph Nader, the consumer advocate legend here in the US who always did the right thing even though it wasn't always popular.

bananas said...

I agree with Manila Bay Watch...this is probably the best story written on The Great One.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this story of Haydee Yorac, Mng Chyt. 'Think I know who's gonna be the next The Great One.

MBW said...

Hi Chyt,

Just dropped in to say hello!

abella said...

Yorac is indeed a woman with guts that not many of the men who are in the hierarchy can stand for what is right. I think she is one of the women whose legacy should not forget be forgotten. I admit I admire her. Funny read with a twist!:)

bananas said...

kelan ka kaya makakapag-update?







lol

Anonymous said...

Hello Chyt,

I know how much she meant to you. When I heard about her passing away, I knew that you were devastated. The funny thing about this blog you wrote is that, I could almost hear you say these things to me. You haven't lost your midas touch, friend.

Yorac had fell into a deep sleep now... but hey, we still have you!

Kiks said...

Missing your entries. Got busy?

GMA makes us busy all the time.

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

Hi, everyone,

I really missed blogging the last two weeks because I attended the founding Congress of the National Union of Peoples' Lawyers in Cebu and visited the beautiful Dumaguete with my friend Manja. After the R&R, I had to attend to my health concerns again.

Yes, Kiks, GMA makes us busy. But it does not mean we are too tired for revolution, huh!

Yakal Friend, I am trying to figure out who you are. Had many Yakal friends who knew I loved Prof. Yorac so much I even sported frizzy hair in those days. Please email me at chytdaytec@gmail.com.

I think the best way to honor Prof Yorac is to be at least half the person she was. Let us all try to be.

Thanks for your comments.

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

Here are comments I received via email:

From Fred Labfayong of Switzerland:

Hope you can publish my simple response to your article.
Last week I guess, I tried again to reply in your Blog, but was not able I guess
because, I forget again my pin code.


Really sad, that there are very few strong and brave Filipinos who wont dance
with our typical corupt Filipino political and affluent society. Affluent, I said.. because
coruption and dishonesty is a norm in our life style over there. We are so called Christians
but, unfortunately many of us are blinded by the glitters of gold.


Let me tell you a real story: Two days ago, I bought an electric tooth brush for 205 CHF, the
equivalent of almost P8,000.00. I put it into a paper bag with the receipt and guarantee. Because
I'm a typical Filipino, who took sometimes chances, when there is something free.. I pass by the parfumerie
and prove all the prefumes I like. I also tried a cleansing ( feeling )creme on my hands and was
busy rubbing it the whole time, on my way home. That was the reason why... I forgot the paper bag
with my new electric tooth brush in it. I tried to ask the tram and bus drivers, if somebody returned
a lost paper bag.. but to no avail. Today, without any chance of recovering my losts.. I tried to
pass by the "lost and found office ".. Luckily.. I get it back. If that happens in the Pinas... I guess..it
was never returned.

From Vince Cabreza of PDI:

calling unmarried Yorac Caesar's wife a little tacky? hehe

From Dr. Marilyn Ngales, Philippines:

Thanks for that memento on Haydee Yorac. She's my idol too. Philippine politics may not be as insulting as it is now with the likes of Abalos et.al. If only she's around to give them that famous stare you have eloquently explored.