What the The Authorities Say About This Blog

I just arrived from Gonogon, Bontoc, Mt. Province. I opened my mail and was excited to share to everyone the good news that for the first time in 20plussomemore years, I drank water straight from the tap in the Philippines without experiencing any form of stomach upset. This says a lot about how the people of Gonogon treat Mother Nature. We will have to put off the discussion because I discovered something else in my mail.

There was a stream of good wishes and nice words about SRT. (By the way, my daughter Karminn Cheryl Dinney, a young poet, is in charge of the design. I just input.). Melchora Chin of Australia is encouraging me to publish a poetry book and she said she would be happy to buy one. I planned this more than 10 years ago but I was so busy working, earning my masters, and learning the ropes of motherhood and marriage. All I could do then was have my works individually published by some papers. Last year my friend Atty Manja Bayang and I were talking about collaborating. Maybe, times are better now.

Atty. Harrison Paltongan, a bar topnotcher, future Supreme Court Justice and poet-in-the-closet, said in his email:


Chyt, you are indeed gifted and you articulate your excellent talent in a classy way though mostly in a poignant and somber tone. I admire your unrelenting crusade in favor of the less-privileged and even in poetry, you are their champion. Regards to Leandro. His honorable shortcoming in the election count is nothing compared to his having you. Though it may be tougher to be the hubby of one like you than to be Mayor of the City...haha.

Harry has been listening to all those election loose talks. Hahahaha. Bad ear, Harry. Thanks, anyway. Please contribute your poems on the greens and the breeze. Then SRT would not be so somber.

Bill Bilig, an Igorot blogger whose From the Boondocks is larger than life, emailed to say he thinks my poems are great. From the Boondocks is in SRT's list of recommended blogs and website. It is the most popular blog of an Igorot. Bill was the source of my inspiration to finally create SRT. I discovered his blog when Ferricardia of Bibaknets, the largest dap-ay in cyberspace shared Bill's post on a peeing Igorot statue in front of Baguio's Hotpot/Barrio Fiesta Restaurant. It was Bill's expose that inspired the revolution which culminated in the removal of that offensive statue. Anyway, I became a regular visitor of Bill’s blog, a library of social and political concerns. He told me in so many words to create my own. SRT is the result. It was actually an “attempted blog” from October 2006 until it became a consummated one a few days ago.

Bill also posted a generous review of SRT in From the Boondocks. I am humbled by it. Indulge me by allowing me to reproduce it here.


02June2007
Yay!AnotherIgorotBlogger


You got to love Smorgasbord of Random Thoughts. It is the blog of Cheryl Daytec Yangot who, if you remember, caught our attention way back at the time when we were just making our first steps in the blogosphere (being encouraged by more established bloggers like Miskina Ano Naisip which I thought was a blog on tennis player Anastasia Myskina, Kayni's Meanderings, and Gandang Igorota). Anyway, as we were saying, Cheryl caught our (and certainly the nation's) attention because of her crucial role in exposing the board exam nursing scandal which you can read in our post here.

It's good that Cheryl now has a blog because we are sure she will be adding valuable insights to our corner of the blogosphere. As we've said in the past, the more Igorot/iCordillera bloggers there are, the better it will be for us in terms of increasing our visibility as a people, in correcting the negative stereotypes held by most people about us, in articulating the many concerns that we face, at marami pang ibang bentahe.

Smorgasbord is, for the most part, a poetry blog so Cheryl joins the ranks of Jocelyn Noe and L. Angeleo Padua who publish their poems online for us to read. Yay!

I haven't read all of Cheryl's poems yet but I really like the ones I've read so far like Love Has a Hand and Invisible II. Here's a paragraph from Invisible II so you won't think that I'm just raving for nothing:

We were invisible. They did not see us
when they came with their bulldozers
and made plains of our mountains, our
home and refuge for millions of years
In the sacrosanct name of development,
they erected chateaus for the bourgeois
We looked at our home--
It
was
gone.

If that is not an excellent poem, I don't know what is. Cheryl's poems actually reminds me of the prose of Inquirer columnist Conrad de Quiros. I love reading Conrado's column because it is always beautifully written. I have to admit though that I sometimes avoid said column because it usually makes me sad and mad.

Yup, de Quiros makes me sad and mad (not at him of course) because he has a knack for capturing our tragedy as a nation and our failures as a people and I sometimes don't want to be reminded of these. But even if I actively try to not read de Quiros, his writing is just too good to miss so I do always end up reading him. And really we can't run away from the tragic truth, which he often writes about, can we?

So Cheryl's poems have this "Quiroesque" quality to them: they can be depressing because they speak the truth but they are too good to miss. So if you are in the mood for reading excellent poems about Igorots then visit Cheryl's blog here. You might get sad a little bit as I was when I was reading them but the poems are good food for the mind and soul.

Uy, what more shall I say? Accolades are embarrassing and at the same time humbling. I take them as reminders never to stray from the path and to keep striving to live a life of meaningful existence. Matagotago tako amin!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chyt, tama naman sila. Keep it up. Buti naman, naisipan mong mag-blog. Your talent is too beautiful not to share.

Anonymous said...

This is a very good blog, Ma'am Daytec.

Why not also include the poems you read to us in class? The ones you call your silly poems because they arent really silly? Especially that one about the nipa hut?

Also that song you sang during the Evolution about tuition fees.

admindude said...

Hi Chyt,
Uy "authority" daw ako hehe. Ayan andami mong fans and you also sang songs pala ha. Looking forward to reading that nipa hut poem :-)

Medyo may correction lang about who sent my post to bibaknets, it is Liezel (of the Mountain Breeze blog) and not Ferricardia (of Gandang Igorota blog). Thanks :-)

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

Lorraine, salamat sa pagbisita.

Bashergirl, unfortunately, something went wrong with my old computer. All the data stored- including the nipa hut poem, other writings and legal briefs- simply evaporated last year. The computer technicians say it was bound to happen when I used a Microsoft version (MS2003) which could not be supported by the processor (Pentium II-computer circa 1999). Now, there's a lesson learned the most painful way. It would have been better if I lost a huge amount of money - which I don't have. I will try to reconstruct the nipa hut poem.

That song I sang is not mine. It is a Bob Dylan hit called "The Times-They Are A-Changing". I added a stanza on tuition. Collect Dylan records. He belongs to a much older generation but his music is still socially relevant.

Bill, sorry for the error. And thanks for the correction. Authority ka naman talaga. In law,that is what we call a conclusive presumption - something beyond challenge.

Folks, thanks for dropping by.

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

The good thing about having your own blog is that you can wallow in self-importance as a pig does in the mud which by the way is from its body.

Today, my friend Atty. Manja Bayang posted on Bibaknets a nice (for want of a better word) message about my poetry. I am reproducing it here for posterity.
Thanks, Manja.

x----------------x

My friend, Atty. Cheryl Daytec-Yangot (whom I call manang Chyt – she demands for the use of the manang), sent me an email that she opened a blog spot where she publishes her poems on the web. I read her blogs with a wide grin. This is really great!

I was writing poems aside from news, features and opinions since high school. Well not so much on poems but I remembered the last one I made which came out in the Sagada Postboy in `93 was about the Dad I never had. I learned it moved some people. Maybe not too many because I was a nobody. And I thought I can write poems until I read the compositions of manang Chyt. I felt so humbled. I have to admit now, that I know nothing about poetry. Manang Chyt's poems are so intimidating. This woman certainly has a knack for poetry. She has a way with words to make it go right through the target. She always has the right words for everything.

All her poems are inspired by something or someone. And I know they come right from the heart of manang Chyt's soul. This, I believe, is the secret ingredient which makes every word in her poems a charged electron causing so much tingling all over the reader's being. The truth and force of every word scares the pretenses out of one's body
and opens the soul to love and reality.

There's one advice I want to give the readers – depending on the kind
of poem - the right and proper way to read manang Chyt'scompositions,
is for you either to imagine that you are in ancient Greece delivering the eulogy to Julius Caesar to a thousand crowd, or in a Greek drama confessing your love to Juliet, or in the French Revolution's musical crying with anger against society's illnesses, holding a rifle on one hand and raising a clenched fist shouting for justice and peace.

Mi amiga Chyt yo un scritor de muchisimo talento! Saludos!
x-----------x

That is Manja. She is actually a writer herself. I hope she shares her poem on her dad with us.

Anonymous said...

Ma'am, ano pa po ang di ninyo alam gawin? Idol po talaga kayo.

Many of our Pol Sci 19 class read your works. Nakaka-intimidate po kayo talaga sa galing ninyo. You are really a deep thinker. You speak as well as you write. Gusto po naming magcomment pero grabe parang di kami karapatdapat. We just keep reading and listening to you po.

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

Rajah, keep visiting.

The truth should not be intimidating. It should be liberating. As the Bible says, the truth will set us free.

So please articulate what is on your mind. :-)