Independence, Dependence, Poverty and America

Today, we celebrate The Philippines' Independence Day. Supposedly, our country has been independent for the last 109 years. Wow, that is something!

But I do not know about that. If we are independent, how come the Siamese twins World Bank-Interational Monetary Fund dictate our economic policies? How come American servicepersons entering our territories do not need to acquire visas and need not even present their passports? How come the Philippine government cannot commit Corporal Daniel Smith to its prison system? How come George Bush tells Gloria Arroyo how to run the affairs of our country?

As far as the struggle for independence goes, nobody can beat the Igorots. Unfortunately, they are less known for having resisted Spanish colonization than for being uncivilized. Of course, it is farthest from the truth that Igorots are uncivilized. That was the lie often repeated that became the truth. At least, it is the truth for the prejudiced minds and those who do not have enough gray matter in their cerebrums to analyze history.

While the Spaniards succeeded in lording it over our lowland sisters and brothers (and many of them resisted. Do not forget THE national hero, Andres Bonifacio.), they failed in the Cordillera. Unable to accept their defeat, they gave the word Igorot a new meaning: barbarism and its synonyms. Actually, Igorot simply means "from the mountains" from the root words "i" meaning "from" and "golot" meaning mountain. But that is telling Igorots what they already know. Anyway, I am writing it here for the sake of those who do not.

Then the Americans came. This is where the story shifts to another theme. This is where the self-determining Igorots suddenly become docile without knowing it.

The Igorots warmed to the Americans. After all, the white men came with their smiles, not with rifles as the Spaniards did. They taught Filipinos to be proud of the nipa hut. I remember that song we sang as kids: "My nipa hut is very small, but the seeds that I grow -- See, it houses them all!"

I ask my students: Which was the worse colonizer? America or Spain? Most students say it was Spain because the Spaniards were cruel. The Americans were benevolent. Hmmm. Why not? The Spaniards forced their subjects to pay bandala and render polo y servicios. And they did not even teach Spanish to the indios. They thought our lowland brothers and sisters were not fit to speak a word in Spanish. But the Americans did not shoot at us with guns and cannons. They came and patiently taught us their language (A is for apple.). They introduced us to the American way of life. The Spaniards were around for more than 300 years. But it seems Spain merely made a stopover, farted and left us fuming mad.

America was with us for 50 years. But it seems as if it were around from the time Bugan and Wigan first saw the light of day!

Here I am blogging, not in the language of my ancestors, but in English. I think in English. I argue best in English. And at home, we speak English. I am very American, in more ways than one. And I am not thinking of migrating  to America which became the Land of the Free at the cost of stealing from other people their freedom. When things get from bad to worse here, hmmm...Let us cross the bridge when we get there.

Our gold, our lands and even our soul - where are they? Philex is an American company. Lepanto is an American company. Because of the poverty situation in the Cordillera, many would like to move to America. Is this poetic justice - the parasite will have to play host to the host it reduced to parasitism? For we were born rich but we are poor. In America we can live the good life. The opportunities stolen from us here are there in America for us to embrace.

And the song "My Nipa Hut" which we melodiously sang in four voices as children? If you ask me, I am a bit suspicious of that song. The nipa hut is, to me, a symbol of poverty. The song teaches us to be proud of our poverty. It almost became our national anthem as it sank into our collective consciousness. Now we remain agricultural producing singkamas, talong, sigarilyas, mani, sitaw, bataw, patani, sibuyas, kamatis, bawang at luya. We keep supplying USA with raw materials while it concentrates in the production of electronics and high-tech products. Meantime, when will the Philippines industrialize? When will it be able to produce the safety pins that we need in emergency situations like when a button falls off, or when we shrink in the waistline but can't afford to buy new pants that are two sizes smaller? The Philippines is one of the richest in the world in terms of natural wealth, but why are its people poor?

Anyway, here is something I wrote when I was mad at George Bush. It reflects what I think of US colonization.

DECEPTION

They presented to us their friendship;
We accepted and invited an invincible enemy.
They rewarded us with their saccharine smile;
We accepted and misplaced discernment.
They bequeathed upon us independence;
We accepted and became their pliant slaves.
They delivered to us chocolates and honey;
We accepted and found ourselves hungry.

They munificently taught us their urbane language;
We accepted and dropped our collective mind.
They gifted us with free-thinking education;
We accepted and unlearnt our ancient culture.
They introduced us to refinement and civilization;
We accepted and became ruthless barbarians.
They convinced us that dog-eating is brutal;
We accepted and started eating their GMO's.

They persuaded us that tribal war is evil;
We accepted and fought WWII with them.
They bestowed upon us protection from harm;
We accepted and endangered our security.
They told us Saddam Hussein is a mass murderer;
We accepted and killed innocent Iraqis with them.
They offered us jobs in the mines in our land;
We accepted and lost our ancestral domain.

They paid us minimum wage for a day's work;
We accepted and waived the value of our labor.
They lent us generous loans from their banks;
We accepted and squandered trillions of pesos.
They granted us multi-billion dollar investments;
We accepted and wasted our national wealth.
They accorded us free trade and liberalization;
We accepted and gave up economic sovereignty.

13 November 2005


Happy independence month, for whatever it is worth.

11 comments:

admindude said...

Belated happy independence day to you too (for whatever its worth). One of my saddest TV viewing moments was when (in an APEC summit yata yon) I saw GMA smiling while Dubya was patting her back. She was so pleased with herself.

Love the poem. And yes, we are uncritically enamored with Americans.

Anonymous said...

Chyt, it is always refreshing to visit your blogsite. There is always a thing or two to be learned.

Long live the Igorots. I have always admired them because of you.

Anonymous said...

I would say that the Americans did well in educating the Filipinos. Now, we can understand its deception because we speak its language. We can also understand Cheryl's poems beautifully written in English.

I am not an Igorot but would not have minded becoming one. I envy you for your unbroken record.

I was in Sagada a few years back. I was surprised that everyone in that rural area could speak very good English. I came back to Manila telling everyone about this.

It seems however, Cheryl, that you think this absorption of English has in one way or another negatively affected your culture. The prices that we really pay for "cultural advancement" are so high. I feel with you.

Anonymous said...

Cheryl, can I harness the honest truth from you, if you don't mind? Your poems are great!
But prior to starting on one, I mean, what's the secret here: do you drink tapey first? a glass of wine maybe? or champagne? a bottle of beer? munch on peanut brittle? Please fill us in, it's worthy of emulation, hehe...
Btw, I looked Chow Yun Fat when I was younger. Also loved the genre of music you're into, same as mine almost. Maybe you can add Maire Brennan, Sarah Brightman, and Enya.
This trio are way better than Celine Dion, at least for me...
Cheers to all.....

Anonymous said...

Come to think of it, it is true that the Americans were more dangerous than the Spaniards. El Espanoles showed their true color while the Americans are like what the bible describe: Wolf in sheeps' clothing. That is why Cheryl's poem (which I am amazed at) is correctly entitled Deception.

Go, Cheryl, go. Keep expressing what the oppressed want to but cannot because they do not have your talent with words.

Unknown said...

Trublue, my sentiments are the same. Chyt, anak, what is your secret? You are really gifted with words.

Speaking on independence, I prefer the Americans than the Spanish. The American educated us well but the Spanish wanted us to stay ignorant. Although it is true that our cultural identity suffered.

payadot said...

Chytt,

Wie geht´s? How are you in German ?

Love your poems and direct comments. For me, even I'm also not a fan of American emperialism. I rather disagree on pointing fingers but we should
be reminded that every "ACTION" could have a "DECEPTIVE" intentions.

It is really sad but very normal that humans do something in order to gain more
from it. It would be realy very noble act, when we sow love just for the sake of spreading love and don't harvest any gain from it.

Regarding the capitalistic and emperialistic interest of the USA,
we could also put blame to our so called elites and leaders who conaives with the emperialist that left just a small part/percent of that cake of economy to the million hungry Pinoys.

In one way or another America is worse than the Spaniards. America gives us knowledge to understand how they have had deceived us.

Ironically to be ignorant you might be more happier. WHO KNOWS????
I'M NOT IGNORANT ... SO I CAN'T SAY THE DIFFERENCE.

Fred

Anonymous said...

Ma'am, we are your students in Local Governments. We are very impressed with the way you teach but we are more impressed with the way you write. You are so gifted. One of us said it is very unfair because you have everything. Joke land po. Bilib po kami senyo.

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

Hello, everyone:

Been out of circulation for a while because of health reasons. Also, my internet connection bogged down mid June so I was forced to stop blogging.

Thanks for your comments. Trublue and Antonia, there is no big secret. I do not drink coffee so I also do not drink wine, beer and brandy (Does it follow?) :-) I do love peanut brittle though. The secret as always is human experience which provides the inspiration. Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night with an idea and I have to write.

Trublue, I will look up those singers you mentioned. Enya is already one of my favorites but I did not list her, as I did not others like Tracy Chapman, Peter Paul and Mary, Woody Guthrie, Gordon Lightfoot. I am sure you love them to. They are the singers of a generation ahead but I always preferred their songs to pop ones.

The Nashman said...

Andrew Marr said it best in his "The History of Britain", somewhere along the lines of - When the empire collapsed, the empire came to London., in reference to how London is multicultural and accepted the citizens of former colonies.

So I think the US shouldn't feel so bad about the influx of Filipinos, after all, having stripped us of the resources they needed, it's but right that they take care of us as well.

We can't entirely blame "Spain" for how badly we were run as a colony. Most of the friars and administrators they sent to our islands were the dregs and leeches of their society. This is typical in all empires. The overly ambitious and cruel tend to be governor generals....From what I saw in the archives, Manila was a beautiful city before the Americans decided that carpet bombing it was the best solution to expel the Japanese...

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

Nashman,

Amen.

Hey, I just visited your blog.

What shall I say? Great? It is an understatement.

I just need to make sure my kids do not wander there. N'yet.

Thanks for visiting. Amen.