POEM: CRY OF THE INNOCENT

Dead War Babies

Cry of the Innocent

by Cheryl L. Daytec

I have not fully died

Go search the wreckage

Of the war shrived of cause

Find my shivering ghost

Singing dreams of peace

Weeping not for myself

But for you

Who lost your sanity

In the haze of power

I have been made

To shed blood

One among many children

Who never understood

The language of war

Who cannot fathom

Why flower fields

Become grounds of madness

Why innocence is slain

In the name of peace

My ghost waits

With other ghosts

Of children

Hear my cry

Meld in chorus

With theirs

Let the chorus

Of our sorrow

Lacerate indifference

And illusions of infallibility

Our death keeps us

Young forever

In the memories of those

Who will remember us

But we have grown old

The moment blood seeped out

Of our young bodies

We know this war you fight

More than you do

In our graves

We have kept our bearings

In your madness for power

You have lost it. cldaytec17/09/2003