JOHN DENVER: IN MEMORIAM Part II

I am currently somewhere in Europe partly for business and partly for pleasure. I do not know if I will always be enthusiastic to go to an internet shop while there are sights to behold and places to explore. Envy me. At least I am taking a respite from having to know about the wrong turns being taken by The Queen and her ilk, and the massive corruption further burying the Filipino nation into the muck and putting the Philippines on the brink of political collapse. (But the truth is I just have to know. Everytime I have access to the internet, I find out the latest happenings in The Queendom. Chismosa talaga.)

She was reportedly distressed over all the briberies. So upset she was that she ordered an investigation to get to the truth. Talaga? She is upset over the briberies or she is upset that her bright boys and girls did not do a clean job? Nabisto tuloy. The investigation must be for the purpose of identifying those whose head must be axed from her holy inner circle. Imagine bribing Crispin Beltran and Ed Panlilio? There is an Ilocano word for those who had the stupidity to offer money to Beltran and Panlilio: Tabbed!

Anyway, since I am supposed to be on vacation, let me do a Part II of a topic that brings me nothing but a light feeling: John Denver. Let me share you my poem in his remembrance.

For John Denver (In Memoriam)
by Cheryl Daytec

The sweet voice that spoke for them without tongue
The courage released where there was almost none
The saber that could pierce apathy and ire
The shield from a rain of bullets gone haywire
The unguent that calmed weeping broken hearts
The refuge of them whose sapped life lost all art
A candle illuminating in the dark
Jasmine strewing fragrance in a stinking park

You asked, What are we making those weapons for?
So much money to waste! Why not feed the poor?
Why do we exile the feeble refugees
When our gluttony forced them on bended knees?
Why do we have three worlds- first, second and third?
Let's tear down the curtain,for there's just one world
Women everywhere must have bread and roses
Wind down their toil from years of powerlessness

A small garden snail is a creature to defend
What more human infants unable to fend
For their own survival? Pity them sans power
Life is so sacred, protect it no matter
The cabbage and tomatoes complete life's circle
Honor their significance; respect their innate worth
Creation's a gift; every death must give life
Death that spells more death gives birth to more strife

I listened to you, a child I may have been
I had been repeating your questions since then
You made me imagine a night in the forest
Afterwards, I nurse no dread of snakes and beasts
As I have of men whose hands pull power's trigger
Whose callousness push the world into danger
So what is wealth when it renders others poor
What is an open gate when there is one closed door?

Your songs are in my soul, they are in my bone
You showed how a flower could shatter a stone
Your music is part of what I have become
Searching for fairness in places where's none
Your sweet voice summons, and not just the ear
It nudges the conscience to submit to fear
Of virtues such as love, virtues such as justice
Oh, these we must serve; oh, these we must please

I look for the rhyme and reason in your death
There's none I can see; but I still feel your breath
You had so much to share, and your all you did give
No grave lies in your name; and long you will live!

I wrote the poem while listening to John Denver one day in September. I sent it to my siblings, all John Denver admirers. My sister Betty (not just an admirer but a possessed fan) emailed to say the poem should reach people and John Denver's family. I posted it on Bread for the World. Carlos Navarro of the Bread for the World Movement said that he passed the poem on to Hank Bruce, author of the book Peace Beyond All Fear: A Tribute to John Denver's Vision. Bruce's wife Tomi Jill Folk said to me in Carlos Navarro's blog: "My husband Hank Bruce and I will be meeting John Denver's mother Erma and first wife Annie Denver at the Windstar Foundation gathering Sunday, Oct.14th, and will bring them each a copy of your poem, so it will indeed reach his family. We will be presenting them with Hank's book "Peace Beyond All Fear, a Tribute to John Denver's Vision." Two thousand people from all over the world are expected to be meeting in Aspen, (Colorado) to honor the memory of John Denver; your poem will tell his family that his influence extends to those not able to be present at the event."

I was floored. I told Betty. She was more floored.

I just thought you should know.

I'll be back in November.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Chyt,

You are in Europe? Anywhere near the EU Capital? If so, would love to meet up with you... let me know.

Thanks.

Anna (MBW)

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

Anna,

That's too bad. I am now in Switzerland. My Geneva conference ends Oct. 21. I will go to Zurich on the 26th and will be back in the Philippines by November 1.

Are you near Zurich? :-)

admindude said...

Of course I'm envious hehe. I was supposed to be in Switzerland ten years ago but gave it up for something else.

About the Queen, I will not be not surprised if she set off that bomb in Glorietta to distract us from that bribery thing.

I like the way you described them. They really are TABBED.

Unknown said...

Hi Chyt,

Oh too bad! Zurich is not really near my place but Geneva is some 3 hours by train or maybe less if you catch the high speed train.

Oh wow! So near yet so far, eh.

When are you due back?

PS: Temperature is wildly low nowadays in Europe. Zurich must be icy cold!

Unknown said...

Am off to the UK before end of October. Hey, if ever you feel like dropping in on the EU capital between 21 and 26 Oct, let me know, ok?

Unknown said...

You really have a way with words.

Nice poem.

Have a good vacation. Do not forget to see the Geneva Lake.

Anonymous said...

reading you is like listening to a person who speaks non-stop. it's like having a discussion with your mother who has a lot of things in her head. i mean that as a compliment. i think.

i wish my dad blogs.

Anonymous said...

Chyt,

Wow! Congratulations! Who else but you can accomplish that? You write very well. I agree with Pat.

As I said in the Comments on the other article on John Denver, it is really true that Country Roads is very famous in the Cordillera. We love John Denver over there because he wrote songs that reflected our environment as if he was one of us.

He will live long in the memory of the Cordillera people.

I am glad that you gave us more information about John Denver that we did not know before.

Anonymous said...

"No grave lies in your name; and long you will live!"

I was wondering if there was a typographical error here. A dead man must have a grave. Then I found out from Google that John Denver or whatever remained of him after the plane crash was cremated.
(Your article made me research.)

lovelyn said...

As in Wow! From The Queen to John Denver, then the poem to Hank Bruce. Now Switzerland and its The Geneva Convention...

Naku, I really don't know you personally but I'm proud of your GIRL POWERS.

Anonymous said...

I am a huge John Denver fan from Texas, USA. I was googling John Denver and I was led to this blog.

I am now in my 50s. I have loved John Denver for years. I am amazed that you in Asia also love John Denver. I did not know this.

Even up to this time, I feel sad over his death. Your writings make me miss him more but they make me feel good.

Anonymous said...

Ma'am,

When will you update your blog?

I keep visiting and get disappointed when there is no update. I sure love your ideas which you express very poetically.

By the way, you were my professor in the St Louis University graduate school. I was taking up Public Administration in 2000's. I seem to remember that the class was impressed that you were a young lawyer and already with a master's degree as well. You were younger than most of the class but we felt intimated and we admired your intelligence and the way you interpreted events in politics and governance. I remember how "tranced" and angry you were when you were probing the Philippine debt problem.

You were a panelist during the thesis defense of some classmates. They said you were a terror because they felt that you were cross examining them but you asked relevant questions and you were fair.

Sorry for having to say this in your blog. I do not know else to get in touch.

Please update your blog.

MBW said...

Hi Chyt,

Not back yet?

Hope trip went or is going well.

See ya.