JOHN DENVER: IN MEMORIAM

He was a musician. He was a poet. He was a philosopher. More than all this, he was an activist.

What a shame that he died too soon.

On 12 October 1997, John Denver (born Henry John Deutschendorf) died when the private plane he was piloting crashed. The details of his death can be found here.

He is best remembered by the world for that very beautiful love song "Annie's Song." In the Cordillera, he is renowned for the song Take Me Home, Country Roads which was unofficially adopted as the Cordillera anthem.

But not everyone is aware that like Jackson Browne, John Denver was an activist who used his music to question inequality and injustice everywhere. As a young child raised in Sunday school, I was passionate about justice and equality. This was the 1980's. We had John Denver cassette tapes and I would listen to them over and over again. The virtues I learned to appreciate in Sunday school I appreciated all the more.

When I was in college, my generation was going gaga over Madonna and the orange-haired Cindy Lauper, and dancing to the ear-piercing sounds generated by weird looking people who called their noise metallic rock and roll. It could not relate to my music choice, and neither could I to its (although for a time in the 1990's, I was crying to Toto's I'll Be Over You after my first love slipped away. I also became deeply interested in Depeche Mode's Somebody because my then ka-relasyon who is now my husband swore he could have written that song for me).

Even among Filipino activists, Denver is not widely appreciated and I guess it stems from their not knowing how profound his music is. It seems not to have commercial appeal. In the 90's ear-damaging noise was selling and Denver was creating soft music although his songs created noise of their own because they expressed the concerns of the common people. I think Denver knew this. To his eternal credit and my eternal happiness, he did not succumb to the temptation of wealth. He did not let the market change his music. I think he was hoping he could change the market.

In the song One World, he laments global socio-economic stratification. He asks, "Why are you calling this the third world? I only know that it is my world. I hope someday it can be our world. Can you imagine one world, one world? This world is made for everybody. This life is gift for everyone. This earth is bound to keep on turning. This day is flowers in the sunshine, sunshine." In Let Us Begin, his castigation of US military interventionism and the Reagan administration's military spending policy is unequivocal: "What are we making weapons for? Why keep on feeding the war machine? We take it right out of the mouths of our babies, take it away from the hands of the poor. Tell me, what are we making weapons for?"

He invites the world's attention to the case of the homeless in Falling Leaves. "This is for the refugees/ The ones without a home/ A boat out on the ocean/ A city street alone/Are they not some dear mother's child?/ Are they not you and I/ Are we the ones to bear this shame? And they this sacrifice?/ Or are they just like falling leaves/ Who give themselves away/ From dust to dust, from seed to shear? And to another day?? If i could have one wish on earth? Of all i can conceive/ T'would be to see another spring/ And bless the falling leaves."

In It's A Possibility, the tenor-voiced John Denver exhorts the world to unite to end hunger and injustice. He says, "For all the times that you've wondered why/ The world turned out this way/ And all of the times that you've asked yourself/ About the games that people play/ About the politics of hunger/ And the politics of need/ How the politics of power/ Seem to be the politics of greed." He speaks for the defenseless children and poignantly articulates their dreams in I Want to Live.

He also popularized the song Bread and Roses written in 1912 by James Oppenheim as a tribute to the Suffragette Movement. Here are some lines from that song which moves me to tears everytime I hear it: "As we go marching, marching/ We battle too for men/ For they are women's children/ And we mother them again/ Our lives shall not be sweetened/ From birth until life closes/ Hearts starve as well as bodies/ Give us bread, but give us roses/ As we go marching, marching/ We bring the greater days/ For the rising of the women/ Means the rising of the race/ No more the drudge and idler/ Ten that toil where one reposes/ But the sharing of lifes glories/ Bread and roses, bread and roses." Tell me, isn't this beautiful?

And John Denver brought to life Ed McCurdy's The Strangest Dream during a massive rally denouncing the US-instigated Vietnam War. With fire in his soul, John Denver sang: "Last night I had the strangest dream/ I'd ever dreamed before/ I dreamed the world had all agreed/ To put an end to war." I think this song should be revived especially with a brewing US-Iran War and the ongoing US-led war in Iraq wreaking horror of all sizes, shapes and nationalities.

I could go on and on about John Denver's politics. As I said in the blog Bread for the World, "Many modern day intellectuals wrote books on ideology and theories that they developed and, for their works, are now extolled by the world as philosophers. John Denver wrote and sang songs that make him no less a philosopher. The whole world will one day realize this."

I never met John Denver. But we could actually have. The virtues he kept searching are the same ones I pine for. His music heavily influenced my life. This world is still as turbulent as he left it. Poverty is massive. Imperialism is still the norm for the First World. But there are people who, because of John Denver's music, are standing firm in the name of the peace, justice, love and equality to which he dedicated his career. This gives us hope that all is not lost. His life was short. But his influence outlives him.

Rest in peace, John Denver. Death insulates you from the politics and injustice that made you unhappy.


- cheryl daytec/ 12October07

28 comments:

admindude said...

Thanks telling us about his activism. I myself wasn't aware that he was deeply involved in peace and justice advocacy and its good to know about it. Its also good to discover his other songs that did not catch on as his more famous ones.

Interesting that you also identified Country Roads as an unofficial Cordillera anthem as I did in my blog. Cheers!

Unknown said...

Chyt, this is a touching piece.

John Denver is also one of my favorites. I have not heard about the other songs you said. I will go find them.

I like Poems, Prayers and Promises. Also Rhymes and Reasons. You are also a John Denver fan pala.

Anonymous said...

Great thanks for blogging John Denver's life. We're all funs of this great singer. I like his songs too: Poems, prayers and promises, Rhymes and reasons, and another song with some phrases like this, " I'd like to sing a song for you woowuuh.." but I can't remember the title of the song.

Anonymous said...

I have always been a John Denver fan. I was a in high school when Annie's Song became a hit.

There was also a John Denver hit called For Baby. We loved that song.

Chyt, thank you for sharing to your readers more about John Denver. I have more reasons to like him and his music. -MUC

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

Bill,
Uy, we are of the same wavelength then. Yes, Take Me Home, Country Roads is a Cordillera anthem. Everyone here knows about it.

I read your open letter to John Denver. It actually made me cry.
I wish he were around to read it.

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

Antonia,

I have to respond to your comment separately because there is a point I want to raise.

I am glad to know you are a John Denver fan. My siblings are John Denver fans.

However, I do not consider myself a John Denver fan, although sometimes I use the word to describe myself in relation to him because it is easier to relate with his other fans when I use the word. But the truth is I am more than a fan. I consider myself a comrade and I consider him my comrade. We never met personally but we marched for the same issues and hoped the same hopes for humanity.

I would consider myself a fan of Abba, Josh Groban, Neil Diamond and James Taylor.

Yes, go find the other John Denver songs. Enjoy your search.

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

Reggie, thanks for dropping by. I am sorry for not responding to your Bibaknets post thanking me for leading you to the YouTube record on John Denver's rendition of The Strangest Dream. I hope everyone of you in Saudi are having a great time listening to the greatest American singer/songwriter.

Anonymous MUC, I think For Baby was written for a child. I love it too. Mary of Peter, Paul and Mary revived it and dedicated the revival to a girl named Erika, presumably her daughter. I am glad you are liking John Denver more.

Unknown said...

Hello.

I did not realize that John Denver's influence on your life is this great. But now that you tell us what John Denver really was, I am not surprised that he could help shape your values

I like how you use the word "comrade" to describe yourself in relation to John Denver. You can only imagine how happy I am to know that a fellow American is so admired in this country by people like you.

Keep up.

Wil said...

Mahilig talaga ang mga Cordillera folk sa country and folk music like John Denver's. Just look at all the country bars in Baguio. I guess those in the Cordillera can identify with some of the themes they write about.

I find it interesting that Denver was piloting an experimental aircraft when he died. I suppose that's characteristic of him -- he liked pushing boundaries. Kagaya nya si Steve Fossett, the billionaire who was also an adventurer but who is now missing for more than a month after flying his plane somewhere near the California desert.

Anonymous said...

I can only surmised unfamiliarity of his new plane caused his untimely death. Disorientation of the controls, and who knows, maybe the aircraft has some defects not probed by the NTSB, which caused it to crash.
Anyways, he must be smiling reading Bill's letter to him. It's a real shame he died early so was Patsy Cline, Richie Valens, Ricky Nelson, all planes crashes.
But as Chyt articulated here, his songs has deep meanings, and mostly cordillerans are appreciative of his influences in their lives.
Cheers to him and to all.

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

Viktoria,
I gather you are American yourself? I was talking with an American a week ago and I think he was so proud and amused that I seem to know practically everyhting about John Denver's music. I like Denver a lot principally because of what he fought for and secondarily because he has a great voice and great music which advocated progressive politics.

Wil,
Although I like folk music, I happen not to like country songs much. I selectively listen to Ray Collins. I usually skip the songs with a country tone. John Denver once said that his music is often mistaken for country. I never bothered to put him in a particular music genre'. Yes, he liked to push boundaries. Imagine singing in USSR and China at the height of the Cold War. And it is often said that he was already an environmentalist before the word was invented and before it was fashionable to be one.

Did I tell you I'm going to Auntie Liva's place this week? Will send you pics of Switzerland in October.

Wil said...

Mng. Chyt,

binanggit nga ng nanay ko na pupunta ka sa Switzerland. Say hello to everybody for me. Auntie Liva is my Ninang. :)

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

Trublue, your comment must have come in while I was replying to Viktoria and Wil.

The tragic thing about Denver's dying in a plane crash is he loved to fly. His song "Flying For Me" which he dedicated to the crew of the ill-fated Challenger says:

"Well I guess that you probably know by now
I was one who wanted to fly
I wanted to ride on that arrow of fire right up into heaven
And I wanted to go for every man
Every child, every mother of children
I wanted to carry the dreams of all people right up to the stars

And I prayed that I’d find an answer there
Or maybe I would find a song
Giving a voice to all of the hearts that cannot be heard
And for all of the ones who live in fear
And all of those who stand apart
My being there would bring us a little step closer together."

Cheers, too.

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

Wil, I will. It is not actually a pleasure trip. I will represent the National Union of Peoples' Lawyers in a conference. I am glad it gives me the opportunity to visit relatives and friends there, and to see the famed beauty of Switzerland also.

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

From Silva Tsuchiya of Bibaknets (sent via e-mail):

Hi Chyt,

Thank you for sharing your writings. There was a time also when I listened to John Denver's music all the time. We sang them together with friends at other times.

Yes, his kind of music is naka-ka-miss.

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

From Fidel Demot of Bibaknets (sen via e-mail:

Whenever I reach Rosario, La Union (coming from hectic and tiresome trip from Manila or Tarlac) and start to go up Baguio either via Kennon or Marcos Highway, I turn on John Denver's Take Me Home, Country Roads. The depth and warmth of my humble home/family remind me and thus eager to safely reach and be with them.

His memoriam may point to us to search for the real meaning of life - why are we here and where are we going (the Bible has answers) - not only to solely focus on searching the "economic paradise" here and abroad or attending a congregation or church meetings that fits our lifestyle as some in Spain do, according to an article. To love God with all our hearts, minds and souls; to love our neighbor. To make a difference in people's lives including our family.

Just reflecting.

Anonymous said...

My inquisitiveness now makes me wonder if JD had a "song writer". Regardless, his songs about the Challenger, Calypso (Costeau's ship), the roads, mountains, were all hits!
Switzerland! TruPink said it's a beautiful country. She went to Baden baden, Germany for a 10 days workshop two years ago. A one day break allowed them to take a bus ride to the nearest town of Basel, Switzeland to nose around. What did she buy? Lots of dark chocolates for TruBlue. They're of course famous for that, as well as watches and actually bought me one. And of course, banking! Since you will be there, pakisirip-sirip mo no mano ti kuarta dagita demonyo nga naka lummeng idta!hehehe.....
maybe her account is under Gluerilla or De Plane De plane!!!
Enjoy the trip and yes! take lots of pics.
Cheers and goodhealth. Happy trip!

Unknown said...

chyt,

John Denver was part of our high school days as we navigate along highways of the phenomena called life.

he will be long remembered.

philian

pagano said...

i used to play his songs with my guitar but my knowlege about the man was limited to his music.

we know that artists get inpired by the issues prevailing in their times, but to actually raise the stakes higher through active participation- such as joining in rallies... that puts him a level above the rest.

(to the commenter regken: you must be talking about the song 'this old guitar.' it's one of his many songs that i've learned when i was in high school.) see that ma'am chyt? i also know a little john denver.:-)

cheers!

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

Phylian,

Thanks for dropping by. Buti pa schoolmates mo. Ako noon, pinagtatawanan. Kasi Madonna ang uso noon. (BTW, why don't you put up your blog? You can put your articles on culture in the blog for many more to read.)

Pagano,
Uy, very nice words about John Denver. Indeed, he was cuts above the rest.

Yes, you know Denver so well. This Old Guitar nga yung song na tinutukoy ni Reggie. I was trying to figure out what it was. Thanks for solving the puzzle. And thanks for visiting.

Fongakhan said...

What a tribute! Thanks for showing us the other side of the great singer. Indeed, his kind of music is sorely missed during these times. I like his sentimental songs, For You and Seasons of the Heart.

By the way, I'll be over you and Somebody are all time favorites also hehehehe... But its nice to know how they figure in your history =)

Layad

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

Layad,

Kindred souls, aren't we?

Thanks for dropping by.

abella said...

I am not a fan of JD but he definitely has sent his message to across the world. I like his songs though. True, how in the world can there be a thirld world when there is only one world? Isn't it demeaning? Thanks for the info.

MBW said...

Hi Chyt,

My hubby's favourite is Country Roads, Take Me Home which he sings regularly when he's taking the shower, tee hee. Hubby is also very very English so you can imagine it isn't quite the right song for him but he loves it (thank goodness, he's got a very nice voice and can sing).

Our doggie likes doing a duet with him and sing she does along with 'Daddy' (heheh!) -- you can't begin to imagine how strange they sound doing country music together!

Heh!

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

Abella, as John Denver`s "comrade" in his crusades, I must say I am glad that you appreciate the man's messages in his music.

Anna, is that so? John Denver's songs that happen to have a country beat are the ones I like the least. It is good to know that even the English like his music.

Thanks for the visit.

Anonymous said...

Chyt,

It is really true that Country Roads is very famous in the Cordillera. We love John Denver over there because he wrote songs that reflected our environment as if he was one of us.

He will live long in the memory of the Cordillera people.

I am glad that you gave us more information about John Denver that we did not know before.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

CHERYL L. DAYTEC said...

COMMENTS received on Facebook

JOCELYN NOE (West Palm Beach, FL) wrote
at 1:48pm on November 23rd, 2008
Yeah I remember John Denver, I recall when I bought his record, i was with a boyfriend come to think of it, and the record was warped, and naturally i went back to complain about it and to exchange it, but the sales girl said "sale was final" and would not change it. Up to now I tell my friends this experience...if it would have been in the US, they would have had changed it in a heart beat.

ALEX MUNOZ wrote
at 6:14pm on November 23rd, 2008
Today's music and musicians are largely defined by the ruling ideology, that ideology centered around the "me" who must race against one another to get drunk, get a boyfriend, and get rich quick, defining life in that order. That's why they last only as long as the shelflife of the latest fad from Bench or Penshoppe or Ralph Lauren. As quickly as they go to the dustbin of Billboards, they leave without a mark on the consciousness except where you stray in some party where they are played for the sheer hedonist instincts they now and then ignite.

ALEX MUNOZ wrote
at 6:15pm on November 23rd, 2008
But the musicians of the 60s and 70's were the ones who defined their own music, defying the ruling ideology. Up against such ruling concepts of official hypocrisy such as "Free World", "Pax Americana", "Nixon Doctrine" and "Washington Consensus", they were forced to speak like philosophers in order to have that weapon to demolish the icons of Universal Reason of the day. In its own way, the music and the musicians of that period, from Simon and Garfunkel, PPM, Joan Baez, Pete Seeger, to the Clash, Jackson Browne, and even Doobie Brothers, and, yes, John Denver, provided the sounds that complemented the ideological writings that conjured an alternative world. Together, they acted like The Enlightenment that preceded the bourgeois revolutions in Europe. They made us saw the light, touching the lives of millions, animating people to rise in a movement that spanned across the continents, from the anti-war rallies in the US, through the Paris Spring and to the First Quarter Storm in the Philippines and even up to the anti-nuke movement that stretched to the 1980s. Their songs were the anthems of these movements, articulating the message of defiance and rebellion that humanity was forced to take because of oppression, inequality, and US intervention. On this sense, the music of that period was a revolution in its own right, a revolution that lent its songs the element of immortality. They live and kindle in those who heard them as long as this world remains unchanged.

That's why I miss the songs of the 70's. And I miss John Denver, he whose songs gave me a glimpse of ALMOST HEAVEN and sustained our power to dream.

CHERYL CHYT L. DAYTEC wrote
at 10:43pm on November 23rd, 2008
Thanks for the comments, Mng Juice and Alex.

Actually, this post is an old one. :-) It was wrongly imported. I only wanted to import the post on the two journalists killed on the same day. Ang daming naisama- hundreds- pati comments. I had to erase. May mga di na-erase at kasama ito.

Salamat pa rin sa comment at ang gaganda nila. Maka-John Denver talaga ako.

ALEX MUNOZ wrote
at 10:50pm on November 23rd, 2008
Mabuti na lang nagkamali si Atty...it's a nice timeless piece...I could read it over and over again without diminution of the appreciation it desrves. Sino ba yung nagsabi na "the excellent is always novel?"

ABIGAIL BENGWAYAN wrote
at 8:53pm on November 24th, 2008
it was only yesterday afternoon (again) that i heard him sing. in a Buyagan jeep =)